You can change a woman's life...
Want to be a part of a unique program that increases women’s access to justice and is flexible to your practice?
CWEALF’s Legal Education Program serves 1,200 clients a year and provides free legal information, legal advocacy, and attorney and community agency referrals. The majority of our clients are low-income women navigating Connecticut’s civil courts on matters related to divorce, custody, child support, domestic violence, employment discrimination, immigration, housing, education, consumer issues, and LGBTQ related issues. CWEALF's role within the community would not be possible without the dedication and efforts of the 100+ attorneys in CWEALF’s Cooperating Attorney Network (CWEALF CAN).
Attorneys can help narrow the justice gap in critical ways:
- Serve as a Referral Attorney by accepting calls screened and referred by CWEALF’s I&R line and legal advocacy program
- Provide your legal expertise
- Lead presentations and workshops on legal rights
- Train Legal Education staff and volunteers on specific topics
- Assist in reviewing CWEALF’s educational materials
- Participate on CWEALF Board of Directors
- Write amicus briefs
- Participate in CWEALF events
All CAN referral attorneys offer CWEALF clients a minimum free 15-30 minute initial consultation, but some also offer sliding scale fees, payment plans, limited-scope representation and/or pro bono services.
Our program is flexible and our staff will work with you to ensure your experience is positive by identifying your interests according to practice specialties and geographic locations, the number of cases you would like referred to you, and any other preferences.
Are you an attorney?
Download and complete the Cooperating Attorney Form. Once you download the form, the button to submit via email will work. You can also return it to Denise Rhone via fax or mail.
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: 75 Charter Oak Avenue, Suite 1-300, Hartford, CT 06106
Questions? contact Denise Rhone at firstname.lastname@example.org