10 Ways CWEALF Stood Up For Women & Girls In 2017
Feminism may be the “word of the year” according to Merriam-Webster but at CWEALF feminism has guided us since our founding in 1973. Countdown to the New Year with us!
10. CWEALF joined thousands of Connecticut women for the Women’s March in January 2017. The Women's March in Hartford drew over 10,000 people! CWEALF staff spoke at over a dozen post –march events and rallies throughout the year. The impact of the march echoed throughout the legislative session and in the 2017 municipal elections.
9. Volunteers and our Board of Directors donated over 1,300 hours of time to CWEALF in 2017!
8. We celebrated CT’s inspiring women throughout the year! Our Facebook followers submitted their “women of inspiration” to celebrate Women’s History Month, young women leaders were honored at our first The Future is Now event, and incredible women making a difference in the lives of women and girls in our state were recognized during our annual One Woman Makes a Difference awards dinner!
7. Despite the federal funding cuts by the Trump Administration, the Hartford Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative (HTTPI) served 447 youths this fall – an increase from the same time-period last year! As the project evaluator, CWEALF stood with HTTPI, Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin, and other advocates during a press conference to oppose cuts to teen pregnancy prevention programs and comprehensive sex education in Hartford.
6. We celebrated important legislative victories this year! The CT legislature banned the practice of conversion therapy on minors, which makes CT a welcoming and safer place for LGBTQ+ youth! CWEALF advocated for and was successful in the passage of expanded pregnancy protections in the workplace and a new law adding gender to Connecticut’s existing hate crimes law.
5. Secure Jobs CT served 100 families statewide in 2017! Secure Jobs CT, managed by CWEALF staff, increases the income of families with children exiting homelessness into housing by connecting them to the education, training, childcare, and other supports they need to secure and maintain stable, competitive employment.
4. We fought for pay equity! The CT legislature introduced comprehensive pay equity legislation to ban the use of salary history in the hiring process, a practice that perpetuates gender, racial and age discrimination in pay. This bill did not pass, but will be reintroduced in 2018 with bipartisan support. We also partnered with AAUW to host the first Work Smart salary negotiation workshops in the state.
3. CWEALF supported women’s access to justice and served over 1500 people in 2017 with free and confidential legal information, personalized bilingual legal advocacy and educational workshops. The #MeToo movement sparked greater interest in how to improve efforts to prevent sexual harassment here in CT. We collaborated with our friends at the CT Alliance to End Sexual Violence for an important presentation of “Preventing Workplace Sexual Harassment: Changing the Conversation and Culture.”
2. CWEALF’s leadership of the Campaign for Paid Family Leave brought us closer than ever to passing comprehensive paid family and medical leave legislation. In June, the Senate debated SB 1: An Act Concerning Earned Family and Medical Leave. The bill did not pass, but the movement and energy around the issue continues to grow as we’ve witnessed during our sneak peek screenings of the award-winning documentary film Zero Weeks around the state. Join us at more screenings in January 2018!
1. CWEALF launched a new strategic plan to guide us and our goals to 2030. We shared with you our updated mission, vision and values and we hope you will stand with us to create an equitable society where women and girls thrive. 2018 kicks off the celebration of our 45th anniversary!
Thank you to our generous donors who made it possible to fight for gender equity every day of 2017. Thank you for standing with CWEALF and standing up for women and girls. We’re ready for 2018! Wishing you good health, happiness, and gender equity in the New Year!
***Double your gift to CWEALF! Don't miss this special matching gift challenge from our supporters Alice Pritchard & Dana Bugl! There's still time left to give a tax-deductible gift in 2017 and to double your impact for women and girls!***
By CWEALF at 29 Dec 2017, 09:54 AM
- December 2016
- January 2017
- February 2017
- March 2017
- April 2017
- May 2017
- June 2017
- July 2017
- August 2017
- September 2017
- October 2017
- November 2017
- December 2017
Law & Justice
Military & Veterans
Science & Technology
News & Events
Donation & Funding