Sexual Assault Awareness Month
April is sexual assault awareness month (SAAM) and SAAM is celebrating it’s 15th year this April with the theme “Engaging New Voices.” SAAM is specifically calling on Greek life members, coaches, faith leaders, and fathers to get engaged in the efforts. Hopefully, engaging these key leaders in raising awareness and prevention tasks will lead to a broader community outreach. We have the opportunity to promote healthy lifestyles not just in April, but all year long.
- Nearly one in five Connecticut residents (19%) has experienced a sexual assault in their lifetime.
- 69% of Connecticut residents consider sexual violence to be a problem in their community.
- 37% of Connecticut residents who do not consider themselves victims of sexual assault said they know someone who is.
There are many ways in which both individuals and groups in the community can get involved in SAAM. Here’s what you can do:
- Individuals can model supportive relationships and behaviors and call out harmful attitudes. It is important to challenge the societal acceptance of rape and sexual assault that can take the form of jokes or playful conversation.
- Join the #30DaysofSAAM Instagram challenge. Help spread the word about Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! Each day in April there will be a theme you can reflect with your post. Click here to learn more.
- Wear Denim on Denim Day, Wednesday, April 26th. For the past 17 years, Peace Over Violence has run its Denim Day campaign in April in honor of Sexual Violence Awareness Month. The campaign was originally triggered by a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices felt that the victim must have helped the man take off her jeans, therefore implying consent. The following day, the women in the Italian Parliament came to work wearing jeans in solidarity with the victim. Click here to learn more.
Join in activities throughout the month in our communities around CT: Sexual Assault Awareness Month Calendar of Events
Sources and Resources:
By Liz Siranosian, Leadership Corps - Trinity College at 18 Apr 2017, 07:29 AM
- December 2016
- January 2017
- February 2017
- March 2017
- April 2017
- May 2017
Law & Justice
Military & Veterans
Science & Technology
News & Events
Donation & Funding